Slow Food Week 2015 promises to be another fantastic week with events taking place throughout Edinburgh, each showcasing the fantastic good, clean and fair food available in Scotland. From a Film Night to dedicated Slow Food Dishes by Chef Alliance members, there are plenty of opportunities for you to join in the celebrations:
Competition (1st - 8th June)
- Cafe St Honoré are championing the Scottish Ark of Taste product, Beremeal, with a week-long bannock competition set by Neil Forbes, chef at Cafe St Honoré. To be in with a chance of winning dinner for 2, make a small batch of bannocks and drop them off during the week. For further details see below or full details, including the basic recipe, can be found on their website.
Tuesday 2nd June
- 'A Scottish Seafood Surprise' - Fred Berkmiller, chef at both L'escargot establishments, is hosting this special full evening menu in honour of Scottish seafood and Slow Food Week at L'Escargot Bleu, 56 Broughton Street, 7.00pm onwards. The menu is yet to be announced (non meat of fish options will be available) and full evening cost is £22.50 (£20 for SF members). Please book direct via: 0131 5571600
Thursday 4th June
- We are hosting a 'Voices of Transition Film Night' at Edinburgh Larder Cafe, 15 Blackfriars Street, 6.30/7- 9.30pm. We will watch the award-winning documentary, 'Voices of Transition' and here from David Somerville, founder of Transition Edinburgh University. The evening includes a bowl of food, a sweet treat and a glass of wine or beer all sourced from within the EH postcode! The evening costs £15 (£12.50 for members) and places are very limited for this event so you must book directly with Edinburgh Larder Cafe, full details/booking on their site.
Saturday 6th June 9-2pm
- Fresh from their successful launch 'Eat-in' on the Royal Mile last Sunday, find our more here, our usual Slow Food Edinburgh stall at Edinburgh Farmers Market, Castle Terrace, will be hosted by the newly-created Slow Food Youth Network Scotland, @SFYNScot. With so many great young producers, activists and chefs involved we can't wait to see what they come up with for the stall and hope you can join them!
Sunday 7th June,
- Victor and Carina Contini introduce a new special event for Slow Food week, 'A Slow Food Sunday Sundae' held in their Gelateria, Royal Mile Cafe, 5-7pm. Indulge in a cocktail or milkshake with canapé whilst we hearing from the Contini gardener Kerry Lyall, who will talk about growing soft fruits and some special heritage fruits worth considering for Ark of Taste. This will be followed by a Scottish Strawberry, meringue and hot chocolate Sunday Sundae! The event costs £15 (£12 for SF members, students and unemployed) and is sure to be a sell out so book quickly via: email@example.com or 0131 225 1550. Throughout 1st-8th June, Each of the three Contini establishments will have a special Slow Food Dish on the menu with an invitation to donate towards the Slow Food Africa 10000 gardens appeal.
(Watch out for further announcements of SlowFood week specials and events on this page)