Serves 4 (1 pudding)
125 g sultanas
125 g currants
125 g raisins
20 g glacé cherries, chopped
20 g mixed peel
½ Bramley apple, grated
20 g carrot, grated
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
40 g prunes, stoned and chopped
50 g plain flour
20 g ground almonds
60 g bread crumbs
1 tbsp milk
50 g soft dark brown sugar
75 g proper beef suet
1 tbsp golden syrup
Pinch each of salt, mixed spice and
Glug each of brandy, sherry and rum
4 tbsp stout
- Place the sultanas, currants and raisins in a large bowl. Add the alcohol and leave to soak overnight.
- Line a 2 pint pudding basin with muslin, leaving enough spare to tie at the top.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of soaked fruit and mix well.
- Fill the lined pudding basin with the mix and tie up the muslin with a piece of string.
- Gently steam the pudding for 2 hours in a lidded pot (water covering half the pudding basin). Don’t allow to boil dry.
- Before serving, check that the centre of the pudding is piping hot.
- Serve with brandy sauce or pouring cream.
Go HERE to order the pudding from Cafe St Honoré.