Ingredients (for filling):
- 500g pumpkin (for this particular pie, a Hokkaido pumpkin was used, however, any leftover, carved pumpkin will do. )
- 125 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 125 ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon,
- zest from one lemon + juice from 1/2 lemon,
- a little bit of grated nutmeg
- seeds from 4 cardamom pods
- Bake pumpkin (as is, with skin on) for about 40 minutes (170 fan), let it cool down a little, peel and puree it.
- Add to a bowl, along with all other ingredients and beat all together into a batter (can be done with a hand blender).
- Pour over pre-baked pastry*
- Bake at 180 degrees (160 fan) for about 50 minutes, until knife/toothpick comes out clean.
Ready bought pie pastry works, but it’s nice to make your own. Here is one quick home-made version:
- 250 g plain flour
- 175 g butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small egg
- about 30-40 ml cold water
Mix all ingredients into a soft, yet flaky pie dough. Blind bake for 20-25 minutes.