A recipe gracefully provided and cooked live at the market by Federica Rigoselli, Slow Food Edinburgh board member.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1/2 yellow or white onion (chopped)
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 200g of arborio or carnaroli rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 400g pumpkin (diced)
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 20g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Some cheese (parmigiano or any hard cheese or if you like you can
add some blue cheese and stir it in with the butter until melted).
- Put some olive oil in a pot, add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt (the salt will help you to cook the onion without burning it).
- Sauté the onion until it becomes translucent and soft.
- Add the rice and toast it while stirring. When translucent add the white wine over the rice, let it evaporate, keep stirring until absorbed. Add the diced pumpkin and start adding the vegetable stock in at least 4 times. Stir it but be careful not to break it. Keep on adding stock until the rice will be soft but still a bit al dente.
- Remove the risotto from the heat, add the butter and the cheese and stir well.
- Sprinkle with black pepper. If you like, at this point you can also
- add some pan fried pancetta or pan fried crumbled sausage.