A recipe gracefully provided by Andrew Marsden, Slow Food Edinburgh board member.
See Felicity Oake’s article in Guardian 27 August 2014.
- 125g medium oatmeal, plus extra for dusting
- 50g pinhead oatmeal
- 125g beremeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 75g butter or fat, diced
- 75ml boiling water
- Toast oats until lightly browned
- Melt fat in hot water
- In mixing bowl add oats, beremeal, salt and sugar and stir in fat/water until sticky and malleable
- Press onto baking sheet adding extra oatmeal if necessary, cut into rounds (or large circle for farls)
- EITHER cook on griddle or bake in moderate oven, turning over halfway.